Northern Fortress

Turkinsaari island

Turkinsaari island - Trangsund next photo - 236 kb

Russians call this island Ovchinny (Sheep island), until 1918 it's name was Nikolaevsky. Just near this island during the Crimean War, a memorable naval battle between Russian cannonboats and an English reconnaissance party took place. At that time, a coastal battery was already built on the island, but Rusians did not manage to arm it by the beginning of the battle. But after that a lot of military things were built on this island ...

Next photo ->
Trangsund: Main Trångsund Redoubt Zorin's fortifications Turkinsaari island Where is it? Lay-out Links
manufactured by Goss.Ru
Hosted by: hc.ru

Alex Goss Photography - Фотографии городов и стран, битв и сражений, разного и прочего...